Thursday, February 12, 2009

Who Am I

Who Am I

I am every tear fallen
from every puffy eye
onto every proud cheek.
I am the salty reminder
of freshly witnessed injustice
to a fellow human being.

I am every drop of blood spilled
in fields, over pavement,
or on scuffed floor boards.
I am the deepest crimson flowing
from those with hope in their hearts
and with no means to defend
their God given rights.

I am the truth
of the human hearts yearning
I am every prayer in every bedroom
on every night they were uttered
from the most desperate of lips
in their most dark and fearful of moments.

I am the keep on keepin on
of the soul
when the mind and body say sit.
I am every sip of pride
swallowed; bitter, oblong, and jagged
so that their family
may survive another day.

I am the battered mind
and the weary spirit of struggle
I am every ache, pain,
abrasion, contusion, and scar
endured
in the name of freedom, equality, and justice.

Who am I?

I am the strength of faith.



Norman E.Harris, Jr.

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing poem. Thank you for the inspiration. I am trying to contact you because I wish to help you & your daughter, Taylor visit the state hospital. Your daughter, most likely, has a rare & often misunderstood gift that needs to be facilitated & I'm more than willing to do what I can to help. Please contact me at: angryancestors@yahoo.com if interested.

    Wolf Cummings

    ReplyDelete